IHSA Mission Statement
Adopted on June 9, 2008
The IHSA governs the equitable participation in interscholastic athletics and activities that enrich the educational experience.
Opportunity for boys and girls to represent their school and community as they participate in interscholastic activities is a privilege unique to young people in American education. Why? Because educators across the USA believe that participation in interscholastic activities offers students significant lifetime learning experiences that cannot be duplicated in any other instructional setting.
The purpose of the IHSA is to provide leadership for the development, supervision and promotion of good sportsmanship in interscholastic competition and other activities in which its member schools choose to engage. Participation in such interscholastic activities offers eligible students experiences in an educational setting which provide enrichment to the educational experience.
It is the responsibility of each member school:
- To stress the educational importance, the cultural values and the appreciations and skills involved in all its interscholastic activities and to promote cooperation and friendship;
- To regulate its interscholastic program in both character and quantity according to the accepted objectives of secondary education so that interscholastics shall not undulyinterfere with nor abridge the regular program of teachers and students in the performances of their regular day-to-day school duties;
- To encourage economy in the time of the student and teacher personnel devoted to interscholastic activities;
- To encourage economy in expenses of interscholastic activities; and
- To promote only those activities which enhance the school's desired educational goals.
School personnel, students, parents and taxpayers have long recognized and endorsed the role of the IHSA — a non-profit, voluntary organization composed of Illinois high schools, each represented by its principal or designated representative — in providing supervision, control and promotion of the interscholastic activities (athletic and non-athletic) in which students engage.
- IHSA believes each individual is important.
- IHSA believes participation in interscholastic athletics and activities is a privilege that enhances secondary education.
- IHSA believes in respect, appreciation, and acceptance of diversity.
- IHSA believes each individual's involvement and acceptance of personal responsibility is critical.
- IHSA believes sportsmanship is a core value and its promotion and practice are essential.
- IHSA believes each member school is equal and equally important to the association's existence.
- IHSA believes equality and fairness must always be safeguarded.
- IHSA believes all persons involved in interscholastic athletics and activities are expected to be positive role models.
- IHSA believes the process of striving to reach one's full potential is more important than winning.
- IHSA believes effective communication promotes knowledge, understanding, and collaboration.
- IHSA believes in the pursuit of excellence.
- IHSA believes to remain effective it must be a self-governing organization where each member school must take responsibility for the knowledge and enforcement of all rules and regulations.
- IHSA believes integrity and honesty are non-negotiable.